Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-Jury seated for Indiana trial of suspect in 2017 killings of 2 teen girls -Prime Capital Blueprint
Chainkeen Exchange-Jury seated for Indiana trial of suspect in 2017 killings of 2 teen girls
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 18:24:01
FORT WAYNE,Chainkeen Exchange Ind. (AP) — The last of 16 jurors were seated Tuesday for the murder trial of a man charged in the Indiana killings of two teenage girls slain in 2017 during a winter hike.
Twelve jurors and four alternates were chosen Monday and Tuesday in Fort Wayne, Indiana, to hear Richard Allen’s trial in the killings of 13-year-old Abigail Williams and 14-year-old Liberty German.
Allen, 52, is charged with two counts of murder and two counts of murder while committing or attempting to commit kidnapping in the killings of the Delphi, Indiana, eighth graders, known as Abby and Libby. If convicted, Allen could face up to 130 years in prison.
The jurors will be sworn in Thursday for the trial in Delphi, a community of about 3,000 some 60 miles (100 kilometers) northwest of Indianapolis. Opening statements are set for Friday morning.
The trial is expected to last a month. The jurors will be sequestered throughout the proceedings, monitored by bailiffs and banned from using cellphones or watching news broadcasts.
Prosecutors said they plan to call about 50 witnesses, while Allen’s defense attorneys expect to call about 120 people to the stand.
Allen, a pharmacy technician who had lived and worked in Delphi, was arrested in October 2022.
A relative had dropped the teens off at a hiking trail just outside Delphi on Feb. 13, 2017, but the two friends failed to show up at the agreed pickup site later that day. They were reported missing that evening and their bodies were found the next day in a rugged, wooded area near the trail.
Within days, police released files found on Libby’s cellphone — two grainy photos and audio of a man saying “down the hill” — that they believed captured the killer.
Investigators released one sketch of the suspect in July 2017 and another in April 2019. They also released a brief video showing the suspect walking on an abandoned railroad bridge.
After years of failing to identify a suspect, investigators said they went back and reviewed “prior tips.”
Allen had been interviewed in 2017. He told the officer that he had been walking on the trail the day the girls went missing and that he saw three “females” at another bridge but did not speak to them. He said he did not notice anyone else because he was distracted by a stock ticker on his phone, according to an arrest affidavit.
Police interviewed Allen again on Oct. 13, 2022, when he reasserted he had seen three “juvenile girls” during his walk in 2017. Investigators searched Allen’s home and seized a .40-caliber pistol. Prosecutors said testing determined an unspent bullet found between the teen’s bodies “had been cycled through” Allen’s gun.
According to the affidavit, Allen said he’d never been where the bullet was found and “had no explanation as to why a round cycled through his firearm would be at that location.”
The case is subject to a gag order approved by Allen County Superior Court Judge Fran Gull, the special judge overseeing the trial. Allen’s trial has been repeatedly delayed after evidence was leaked, Allen’s public defenders withdrew and were later reinstated by the Indiana Supreme Court.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Did a woman kill her stepdad after finding explicit photos of herself on his computer?
- Sophie Turner Unfollows Priyanka Chopra Amid Joe Jonas Divorce
- AP Election Brief | What to expect in Louisiana’s statewide primaries
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Amid a mental health crisis, toy industry takes on a new role: building resilience
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park to reduce bison herd from 700 to 400 animals
- Junk fees, unfilled jobs, jackpot
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Judge authorizes attempted murder trial in shooting over Spanish conquistador statue
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- U.S. cities bolster security as Israel-Hamas war continues
- We Bet You'll Think About These Fascinating Taylor Swift Facts
- ‘Barbenheimer’ was a boon to movie theaters and a headache for many workers. So they’re unionizing
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Site of Israeli music festival massacre holds shocking remnants of the horrific attack
- Don't Miss This $129 Deal on $249 Worth of Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Skincare Products
- Police in Warsaw detain a man who climbed a monument and reportedly made threats
Recommendation
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Coast Guard rescues 2 after yacht sinks off South Carolina
Trump's GOP opponents bristle at his response to Hamas' assault on Israel
GOP quickly eyes Trump-backed hardliner Jim Jordan as House speaker but not all Republicans back him
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Start Spreadin' the News: The Real Housewives of New York City Reunion Trailer Is Here
Wisconsin Republicans propose sweeping changes to Evers’ child care proposal
Breaking Down Influencer Scandals from Lunden Stallings and Olivia Bennett to Colleen Ballinger